Today I was checking in on Facebook and saw a video that was posted by a friend of mine. I am not writing any of this to offend anyone. However, this is my blog, where I place my opinion, and if I feel strongly about something like this, I want to express that.
I was really blown away by this when I watched it. Now, to be perfectly honest, I have seen the Twilight movies. I have seen them, mostly to see what the kids in my youth group are watching, but to be perfectly honest, because I am human, I was a little allured by them as well. The story behind the movie (minus the vampires) could actually be a good story. For instance, if you take out the vampires, werewolves, etc., you could probably make the love story of two people who are a little Romeo and Juliet like but more modern with a bunch of drama and action in between. However, these movies are actually full of witchcraft, dead people and people who change into animals. When you say it like that, it doesn’t sound as good and alluring does it? It actually sounds kind of gross…a human girl wants to make out with and marry a dead man, but she has feelings for a half man/half dog???
When I watched the video posted above, I was struck by some things he said and had some thoughts…
- “Dead people don’t talk to you. Demons pretend to be dead people.” – HELLO??? DUH!! Got to love all these ghost shows…they aren’t ghosts people…they are demons!!
- The history behind the Twilight series blew me away. I knew she had written the series based off a dream, but I had no idea about her beliefs.
- The obsession with Twilight has gone beyond a typical movie “fan club”….it’s gotten to an obsession level and like he said, “it’s a nasty little world we live in”.
- The movies have helped bring notice (and have probably spawned some increase in) a vampire culture that is actually going on in the world today. There are actually groups of people who believe they are vampires!
- Some Christians have stated that it is a good story because they didn’t have sex until marriage. The only reason there is abstinence in this movie is because he can’t have sex with her until she is a vampire because he might hurt her or kill her. There is no real teaching of abstinence and it’s about vampires!
- “Satan is a liar, he’s deceiving.” AMEN!!
- “Are your eyes open to the darkness of our day and the deception that’s around us?”
I love this video because it really sheds light on what our culture is like today. It’s convicting and reminds us that we really need to be watching out for our kids!